Panoramica di Pievebovigliana
Panoramica di Pievebovigliana
Panoramica di Pievebovigliana
Panoramica con cime innevate
Castello Beldiletto
Castello Beldiletto - Affresco interno
Castello Beldiletto - Cortile interno
Castello Beldiletto - Scuderie
Villa Filippo Marchetti Gallazzano
Chiesa di San Giusto in San Maroto
Chiesa di San Giovanni - Isola
Chiesa di San Giovanni - Isola
Cripta romanica di Santa Maria Assunta
Museo Storico del Territorio
Lago di Boccafornace
Lago di Polverina o Beldiletto
Palazzo Marchetti Campi
Ponte romanico di Pontelatrave
Chiesa e Convento di San Francesco - Pontelatrave
San Francesco interno

Home / to discovery municipality / the history

the history

chiesadisangiusto

Chiesa di San Giusto in San Maroto

Pievebovigliana has been settled from prehistoric times. In the archaeological section of the ‘R. Campelli’ museum at the Town Hall there are some stone artefacts of paleolithic origin. A tomb found near San Francesco testifies to the presence of settled populations going back to the 7th century BC. Also on display in the local museum are numerous ( 4th to 3rd century BC ) finds from Monte San Savino that confirm the existence of a Piceni settlement in an area of high ground probably occupied for defensive purposes. The abundance of ceramic and other imported goods is evidence of the commercial importance of the entire area, which was a meeting place for four coeval cultures: Celtic, Greek, Etruscan and Italic. The present day name ‘Pievebovigliana’ is derived from the medieval place name Plebs Boveliani ( possibly people of the oxen ) and is indicative of either Gallic or Roman origins. Like other scattered Gallic settlements it became first, a Roman pagus (village ) and then, a Christian plebs ( people). However, there is no doubt that the building which was discovered in 1964 at San Giovanni dell’Isola belongs to the Roman imperial era and was probably used in connection with taking the spa waters. The medieval period had a great influence on the area and witnessed the passage of saints, popes and mercenary captains. Battles were fought, conspiracies hatched and poets and writers found their inspiration here. The church of San Giusto at San Maroto , one of the most important romanesque buldings in Le Marche belongs to this period. Its particular structural form has given rise to many theories as to its origin. Most experts believe it was built ca. 1000 AD, but some maintain that its central dome, built without formwork, dates back to Carolingian times. The monastery of San Francesco at Pontelatrave goes back to the saint of the same name who, in 1215 on one of his visits to Le Marche, spent the night in a nearby wood. An episode in ‘the little flowers of St. Francis’ is associated with the construction of the monastery; he is held to have changed the water of the well into wine in order to slake the thirst of the workmen engaged in building the original structure. The present complex of church and monastery was constructed at the end of the 14th century. The late medieval period also saw the building of the convent of San Pietro di Pompeiano , close to the monastery, but now unfortunately no longer in existence.

beldilettoBeldiletto nella valle del Chienti

Between 1371 and 1381, the Da Varano , lords of Camerino, built on the plain the castle of Beldiletto, a sumptuous and splendid summer residence befitting this powerful dynasty . In 1382 Luigi I of Anjou and Amadeus IV of Savoy stayed in its richly frescoed rooms. In 1419 the castle was taken by Carlo Malatesta , Lord of Rimini, in a battle against the Da Varano. Subsequently, he in turn, was defeated by the Lords of Camerino with the help of Braccio da Montone. In 1510 Pope Giulio II stayed here with his entire retinue comprising seven Cardinals and 200 mounted men. The site of the former castle of Pievebovigliana, is dominated today by the massive structure of the medieval church of Santa Maria Assunta -restored in the 18th and 19th century and containing an 11th century romanesque crypt. The castle was destroyed by the troops of the Duchess Caterina Cibo who was engaged in a dynastic battle for the control of the Da Varano dominions. Franco Sacchetti , author of the Trecentonovelle and one of the greatest of the Italian medieval writers found inspiration in Pievebovigliana. In one of his stories he describes the adventures of some soldiers from Pievebovigliana who, having enlisted in the army of Gentile of Camerino -grandson of Rodolfo Da Varano , were sent to attack the city of Matelica. Sachetti’s witty and probably accurate description does not spare the inhabitants of Pievebovigliana; the soldiers got drunk, vanquished a haystack and were captured whilst busy picking cherries. The strategic importance of Pievebovigliana is shown in a document of 1218 whereby Archbishop Atto of Camerino confims certain privileges and possessions (lands, vines, mills and woodlands) on his incumbent in Pieve and the control of some thirty one churches.

novecentoPievebovigliana nei primi anni del novecento

The last few centuries are notable only for a deafening silence as to events in Pievebovigliana and its surrounds, possibly because these years were spent within a Papal State. In this connection about the end of the 15th century Mariana, mother of Pope Sisto V, was born in Frontillo – one of Pieve’s outlying villages. The population grew steadily from 1,800 inhabitants at the end of the 16th century to a maximum of 2,259 by 1901. The second half of the 19th century saw the expansion of all the outlying villages and the construction of some palaces and fine country houses. The start of the 20th century brought about a marked decline in the population as this little backwater was actually suffering a decline as a result of the economic growth that was taking place elsewhere in Italy. The old industries such as weaving had all disappeared for good ( in 1890 there were 61 looms whose production had been almost exclusively for local consumption). Hemp had been grown to supply fulling-mills and dyeworks . At the end of the 19th century there were eight brick ovens producing more than 200,000 bricks a year and employing some 25 workers. Today, some impressive ruins are all that remains of these brickworks. In order to make up their incomes, many small farmers had to join the seasonal migration towards the countryside round Rome by taking the old traditional tracks to the summer pastures where they became day labourers. In the first decade of the 20th century, when this seasonal migration started to decline, the people of Pievebovigliana began to emigrate overseas in increasing numbers, especially to the Americas.
A third phase of emigration began in the fifties when significant numbers began to leave for Rome which was becoming increasingly important as the capital city. Nevertheless during the 19th and at the beginning of the 20th century life was not without interest in Pievebovigliana; there were some notable individuals such as Stefano Cianni. He was a local figure who built his business in the Jacobin first half of the 19th century. He opened a fulling mill and a dyeworks that employed four workers. By the end of the century, the dyeworks, where cloth was coloured using chemically obtained dyes, was being managed by his sons Giovanni and Osmirda. Their work was famous for its quality throughout the province. At this point Osmirda opened a photographic laboratory and a small plant to produce cutlery and surgical instruments. The end of the 19th century also saw the foundation by the two Varnelli brothers , Girolamo and Giovanni, of the distillery which still produces today the famous Amaro Sibilla and the L’Anice Secco Speciale. Nazzareno Morosi, who was an early pioneer in electrical engineering, began in the twenties to bring electricity to Pievebovigliana and the numerous surrounding villages. His grid expanded rapidly and even reached places as far afield as the villages surrounding Foligno, Sarnano and Amandola.

castello

Il castello di Pievebovigliana

the weather

Clear
Friday
Clear
Clear
Saturday
Clear
Partly Cloudy
Sunday
Partly Cloudy
follow us: